For anyone who has the means and the room, Sony wants to make the term “home theater” more realistic than ever. That seems to be the reasoning behind the electronics giant making the 63-foot 16K resolution Crystal LED display system, which it introduced for business and (actual) theater use in April, available for residential customers.
Sony’s Crystal LED tech works with 16 x 18 inch micro-LED modules, a structure very similar to Samsung’s Onyx LED system. It’s more luminous than OLED, which permits supernaturally sharp images with lifelike color.
Here are the technical details, from Sony’s release:
- HDR with high brightness (1,000 nits)
- 10-bit grayscale
- Precise color reproduction
- Extraordinary color gamut – 140 percent of sRGB
- High frame rates up to 120p
- Nearly 180-degree viewing angle
- Spectacular 3D
- Non-standard aspect ratios
- 99 percent black surface area for delivering high contrast and high resolution
Basically, you’ll feel like you could just step inside the thing.